Saturday, November 24, 2007

7 - Virginia is NOT for lovers...

My court date for the State of Virginia is Monday morning.

State of Virginia vs. kay_ski
1 count Felony charge of reckless driving
92 in a 65 HOV/Highway Safety Corridor/State Construction Zone (45mph)

Yikes. I got this ticket in June, when I got a call saying my mother was in the hospital for congestive heart failure. She had been suffering from pneumonia for a few weeks, which got in the way of cancer and treatments and all the fun stuff life offers.....
So I suppose it was no excuse for speeding excessively. Did I care at the time? Absolutely not. Would I have cared a lot more had I known this type of speeding is a Felony, requires mandatory jail time, countless hours of community service and thousands of dollars in fees? YEP!
The state of Rhode Island has no such laws, not even close! You have to pretty much kill someone to go to jail up here... They just don't have the space or funding in state prisons for petty crimes. I didn't crash into anyone, it was 3am on a Thursday and no one was on the road. Could I have? Sure, I'm not super woman.
My cruise control was set at 88. We happened to be going downhill, and it hadn't caught up yet.

Anyway, the court day kept getting continued up until Monday. I have some fancy lawyer (that ran me 5 grand) who says he's going to keep me out of jail, keep this off my record, let me keep my license, and stick to the community service and fines idea. While I have enough to pay for as it is (bills from cancer specialists are not cheap) I suppose I'd rather pay the fines than serve 30 days in jail. Who would take care of my mum...

So we'll see what the judge says once my lawyer calls me Monday afternoon. I'm nervous, not being down there for it. But my lawyer says not to come. I feel like I have no say in the matter, not being there. We'll see.

As far as those bumper stickers are concerned...
Virginia is NOT for lovers.

3 comments:

Elise said...

All that for a speeding ticket?!

Thank God you didn't kill someone...

x

AZZITIZZ said...

Hi there again,
You have been tagged, come see what you are supposed to do. I had to tag seven others and thought you would give some real good answers. If you don't want to do it, no probs but it can be fun.
:)

Vyolet said...

I must apoligize. I had meant to leave a comment for you sooner but I kept forgetting. I have a terrible memory at the best of times.
I wanted to thank you for the thoughtful comment you left on my blog. I was thrilled that someone not only took the time to read my blog but obviously took the time to absorb it.
To be honest, I have been struggling a bit. I am really worn out with the physical side of treatment. I am trying my best to keep myself positive.
Thank you for your concern
Vyolet